[OSList] Facilitating the Uncovering of Assumptions

John Watkins johnw536 at mac.com
Wed Sep 18 13:46:48 PDT 2013

Evan,

My suggestions are not big process tools, but they are powerful activities.  That being said, I'm a big fan of the Five Why's as a way to deepen exploration of root causes, including hidden assumptions, in a situation once it has been well described (an old TQM tool).  Also, exploring "priorities, assumptions, and compromises" inherent in a situation (sort of a logic mapping activity).  You could also throw in the question, "Whose interests are and are not being served by the way things are?"

John