[OSList] Super-small open space

Michael M Pannwitz mmpannwitz at gmail.com
Tue Sep 17 04:27:03 PDT 2013

For groups that are very familiar with OST and with each other, we have
used the "silent introduction" (the particular group I am thinking of
potentially has a dozen participants but in practice it varied from 5 to
12 folks... I think they met about 20 times so far and at least the last
8 times in the fashion described below).
But first, all set up the space: chairs, the center, bulletin board,
schedule, breakout spaces, signs... the whole enchilada.
Then we sit in the circle, look around, calling the principles to our
minds... enjoying the quiet. And about 7 to 10 minutes later, the first
issue is offered and posted and then it continues as "usual".

If you like, all facilitate or more clearly, nobody facilitates.

This is a little bit like the leap from the "InterActive" to the
"Inspired" organisation... described in detail by our Man with the Hat
in "The Power of Spirit - How Organisations Transform" and summarized in
a neat little chart on page 106 of that book...
This way of doing it preserves the "ritual" without the one
facilitator... experience has shown me that it will not be satisfactory
without the "ritual" (we tried OST events without the usual
introduction... it was not a flop but it was tedious).

Greetings from Berlin where my old bones enjoy a warm late summer day
mmp