[OSList] technology mix no-no?

Suzanne Daigle sdaigle4 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 11 21:47:39 PDT 2013

Dear Magdalena, I am so happy your group decided to go with OST...what
wonderful space will be opened for 2.5 days (3 nights).   It will be
memorable I know.  Congratulations for opening space the 13 of you from
different parts of the world almost every week. Wow how very special.

In terms of the technology, I think you seem to have a great plan. Working
with students and others in different ways these past few years, on Maestro
Conference with Ben Roberts and others, with Skype, with Google doc and
other modalities, I see this as a great adventure.  If we look at all this
as an evolving experiment with many being a part, I think it helps us be
detached from the outcome as Open Space invites us to do as facilitators
and yes... with the principles.  So I'd say trust your intuition and then
decide.  Really there's no way to fail because failing is adding to the
learning.   And of course, you can always decided not to do anything.

I have been amazed myself at the intense learning and sharing that has
happened on line, at times even more powerful than in person because there
are fewer distractions and deeper listening.

Warm regards,
Suzanne

On Wed, Sep 11, 2013 at 12:51 PM, Magdalena Valderrama Hurwitz <
magdalenavh at gmail.com> wrote:

> For the past year, I've been chairing a group of 13 people all living far
> from each other (Missouri, California, Toronto, East Coast, Hawaii etc) who
> have been meeting nearly weekly over the past 4 years over the phone and
> with the intermittent help of private online chats and video calling when
> these resources were available.  One of our tasks is to mobilize a
> community of interest--about 1200 people scattered all over the world--to
> engage in various cooperative actions. Now it's time for the annual working
> retreat (last weekend in Sept) which the group has expanded from 2 into
> 2-1/2 days (3 nights) so we can have more working time together.  It's
> normal for our working retreats that people who can't attend in person call
> in and we work to make sure "calling in" is an unavoidable option.
>
> The group has voted to use OST. A couple of years ago a member of the
> group introduced OST and later left, and I became empathetic to the point
> of taking a training, joining this listserve, and trying out one of the
> Blackboard Collaborate gatherings (clunky but interesting)  etc.  Two of
> our members are very eager to use OST for this retreat, and the rest are
> very interested, with one abstention. I recused myself from the vote but
> after the group voted yes, I contacted the former member and she is willing
> to facilitate.
>
> We figured out we could use a projector and Google Docs to post the OST
> agenda wall, and we are also using Google Docs for the breakout session
> reports. We plan to have the callers use Skype for the main sessions as
> well as the breakout sessions so that we all have visual contact with each
> other.
>
> We had a majority coming in person, but the two strongest proponents have
> said they won't be able to come, one participant is personally
> uncomfortable with the facilitator, etc, and now we are down to 6 people in
> the room and 5 sure callers.
>
> We're a pretty determined bunch of people--not energetic necessarily--and
> OST is best done in person, so should we just give up on using OST now or
> is there still hope to be had?
>
> --
>
> Magdalena Valderrama Hurwitz

Suzanne Daigle