[OSList] Genuinely open Agile adoptions

Harold Shinsato harold at shinsato.com
Wed Sep 4 15:23:52 PDT 2013

Dan,

Thank you for forwarding that interview. I've worked with your
interviewer Amr Elssamadisy before in Dr. Christopher Avery's
"Leadership Gift" program. Great to hear his voice. Thought he did a
great job bringing forward your insights.

It's hard for me to express how deeply your thinking aligned with what I
see as the essence of Open Space, and what I feel emerging in my own
psyche and that in the collective when we spoke and I got to be present
at your session in Nashville at Agile 2013 last month. I continue to
find your material to be a critical piece in helping bridge the Open
Space and Agile communities - something Peggy Holman called "Sister
Communities" at the World Open Space on Open Space in St. Petersburg
back in May.

I'd heard your thinking before and it continues to astound me the
relevance and power in getting these two communities to work together.

Open Space truly is the "secret sauce" making possible successful Agile
adoptions. The science behind this awareness goes deep. The timing of it
feels like perfection. You seem to be getting just the right audiences
to engage with this idea. And what you posted earlier in terms of a
framework for adoption involving interspersed Open Space events to help
promote agency and engagement - very exciting. Very simple. Truly
elegant. And phrased in a way the holders of the bottom line can "get it".

What's new about your stuff?

Perhaps it's been mentioned before - but here are some points I find
most critical.

1) The Mandate. Perhaps Open Space Technology came out of Organizational
Development (and Organizational Transformation). But most attempts to
transform the organization that I've seen have been "rolled out". Kind
of like a steam roller. It's definitely mandated. You went into great
depth in your Agile 2013 presentation how Mandated Agile goes
fundamentally against the values and principles in the Agile Manifesto.
Open Space can help us bring back the original thinking of the
signatories of the Agile Manifesto.

2) Games and engagement. Jane McGonigal's book "Reality Is Broken", and
the whole arena of Gamification, has become a focal point of driving
home ideas from positive psychology, and is also driving many huge
wheels of industry (and dollars). Because getting people excited about
using your products is important. Getting employees excited about
contributing to your products - also critical. But I'd never heard
anyone describe Open Space Technology as a beautifully designed game
before. This perception I think plays directly with the TOOL versus
PHILOSOPHY debate in our community.

3) Agency. This might have been a significant idea as well in Paolo
Friere's book - "The Pedagogy of the Oppressed". Without people feeling
like they have some say in how they apply their blood, sweat, and tears
- engagement is not going to happen. Open Space is a critical way to
nurture agency in people.

I'm so thankful that you've started posting on the OSList and I look
forward to how things unfold. From what I see you saying, and how I see
people are hearing you, it seems as if we're on target for a much more
explicit chapter in the relationship between the Agile and Open Space
"sister communities".

     Thanks!
     Harold