[OSList] A Time for Questions (Warning: Very Long)

Skye Hirst skyeh at autognomics.org
Tue Sep 3 08:58:34 PDT 2013

I would love to meet you on Skype conversation.  This stream is soo rich.
THanks for this long summary. Also what comes to mind is Claire Graves work
(Sprial Dynamics)  human history develops in spiraling pattern.  Skye

On Mon, Sep 2, 2013 at 11:11 PM, Chris Kloth <chris.kloth at got2change.com>wrote:

> Harrison, et al...
>
> I have been reflecting on your history piece since it was posted. It has
> taken me down several paths that were both perplexing and energizing.
>
> First, being old enough to have experienced all those decades first hand,
> the storyline certainly resonates with me.
>
> Second, the value of questions. One reason I was attracted to OST and you
> some 20-ish years ago was that I had been struggling with finding
> methodologies or frameworks within which to apply what I had been exploring
> in David Bohm's work on dialogue and on "implicate order." Just as his
> Nobel prize winning work in physics revealed, it was clear that what was
> needed was a way to engage the paradox of complexity and simplicity in the
> same space. Questions were/are key, as were/are multiple perspectives. I
> quickly recognized the potential of OST to take me further down that path.
>
> Later, as I got to know you and others better, and began making OST an
> important part of my work, your thinking/writing about spirit that became
> more important to me than the methodology or process questions. One
> important element of that work is the power of the story... the cultural
> myths, the creation stories, etc.
>
> Which brings me back to the history piece. Something is in the wind, you
> say. You also suggest that the questions vastly outnumber the answers.
> Finally, you suggest we are at a turning point and that there is a sense
> reminiscent of the sixties. In the spirit of Bohm's both/and thinking, I
> couldn't agree more and have what may be another take.
>
> I think one aspect of the fifties story that helped create the possibility
> the sixties was the Cold War. Yes, on one level we had a sense of some of
> the answers and acted like we knew more. But on the other hand there was
> also a sense of fear that there were powers and forces that were beyond our
> control and comprehension...a real sense that the world could be blown to
> bits in no time flat.
>
> It was 1962 when Bob Dylan said, "The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the
> wind." In the context of Harrison's contrast of the 50s and 60s it now
> strikes me as creating an interesting sense of movement: "THE answer" feels
> very fifties and "blowin' in the wind" feels very sixties. The focus was
> still on the answer, an answer, but chasing the wind we began to consider
> the possibility of multiple answers. We started asking more questions, but
> they were initially more confrontive and judgmental and more oriented
> toward offering an alternative set of best answers...ours!
>
> Certainly there were some matters of justice that deserved confronting and
> there were people plumbing the deeper questions and possibilities. As you
> suggest, this energy propelled us into the 70s and 80s with all kinds of
> questions and answers and options ans tools and mental models blowing in
> the wind... some of it as hurricane force.

> [...]

*Skye Hirst, PhD*
President - The Autognomics Institute
*Conversations in the Ways of Life-itself*
www.autognomics.org
@autognomics

New Phone Number:
207-593-8074