[OSList] Open Space in schools

Jamie Colston jamiecolston at googlemail.com
Mon Sep 23 04:03:24 PDT 2013

Dear All,

I have been working with a Secondary school in the UK to support students
to develop their school council into something which gives them a real
voice in their school and supports them to make things happen. As part of
this process, in the last academic year I ran some world cafe sessions with
Students, Teachers and the School Leadership Team and Governors to find out
more about their views of the student council and what they would like to
see in the future.

This work has led to a year long contract to help build on this and I am
bringing together all of the Art of Hosting work to support the students to
build something emergent and powerful that inculdes the full school system.
In the next few weeks the school will be having their very first open space
meeting with members of as many of the various parts of the system there as
possible.

For the opening of the open space I was planning to do a context setting
piece for everyone and invite the headteacher, leader of the governors and
the school council leadership team to just say a few words about the
boundaries that are there in terms of the academic and governance
structures so that everyone can be clear about what is possible and what
isn't within the constraints of the current system. I would them set up the
open space and ensure that the talking ends on a creative and upbeat note.

I would love any advice, thoughts and feedback. In my mind i think that to
keep it as open as possible is important and what has constantly been a
theme in all the pre work is working within the context of the
political/technical/academic landscape (they would not phrase it like this
but this sums it up).

If this year works, it is likely that I will be able to work for further
years bringing open space, world cafe, graphic facilitation and AOH into
the school as a key methodology for empowering change in the system so it
is very exciting and hence why advice and wisdom is most welcome.

Thanks and look forward to hearing any inspiration

Jamie

--
*Jamie Colston*

Enabling young people to design inspiring events and host conversations
that matter to them, empowering them to find their voice and take practical
action towards creating a sustainable, peaceful and equitable world.

*M: *07909 442006 *E: *jamiecolston at gmail.com* *

*FB/Linked In/Skype:* Jamie Colston  *Twitter*: spearthwarrior

*Nowhere ecl  www.now-here.com/ecl*

*Green Vision Movement  www.greenvisionmovement.org*

**** <http://www.bathamptoncsa.wordpress.com/>* *