[OSList] The Nordic Open Space Invitation

Kári Gunnarsson kari.gunnarsson at simnet.is
Wed Sep 18 03:04:09 PDT 2013

Dear Oslist

We, Open space facilitators, interested in Nordic Europe, will have an
on-line Open Space meeting next Sunday the 22nd of September. The
formal event will last 3 hours see:
(CEST) 16:30 - 19:30
(UTC) 14:30 - 17:30

Our theme for the Open Space is: "What is our purpose and future,
where do we go from here?"

We will start the Opening circle with a story telling session where
our topic is "Celebration and sharing stories from our Open Space
Work"

I like to sell you the idea of attending this invitation by the
following five points I have written based on my understanding of the
Medicine wheel and the preconditions of Open Space.

1. Reality:
As a group of people working with Open Space, it has value to
strenghen our relations for the work we do.
There are many projects that we can lunch and many other things that
we can aspier to do when we work as a group,
for this to become real we need to have a clear vision on the current
purpuse of our group so that we can be used to see where we like to
go.

2. Complexity:
At current we have a peer based and ever emerging volunteer leaderhsip
as we are all most skilled in the arts of leadership.
Such informal leadership needs a strong understanding that we are in
this together.
While indivitual programs we create need the formal leadership so at
least the people will know who to contact.

3. Diversity:
Our Open Space works are in countless fealds and with many forms.
We have different experiences working with Open Space in different settings.
Any vision that we co-create would benifit from having the experience
from as much of our diverse experiences as possible.

4. Conflict:
As this is our work and we know best how things work for our selfes,
any common ground to work from has to be created by the Community.
Our passion for the work we do and the reasons for our use of Open
Space are fundamentaly on opposite poles.
It is of importance to open for all the different opinions and
viewpoints so that our common work can have a strong foundation.

5. Urgency:
There is much awakening about the possibilities of Open Space in our
countries here in the North.
If we do not responde to these favoruable winds then the invitation to
introduce open space will perhaps be closed until the next big crises
is over.
If we are to strengthen our servise to the communities that we serve
then we must manage this in a timely manner.
We have intitudes inisiatives in different countries and for our
common projects.
This supporting structur is meaningless if it failes to bring the
needed Open Space skills to the people that are in the need.
Now is the time, we are the people that can take this responsibility
and enlare open space work in our communities.

I hope that all you people that are intrested will join us.

If you like to join, then send an email to kari at openspace.is, you will
then get a reply with the needed information on how to connect to our
on-line Open Space session. Technical support will be provided by the
skilled Thomas Herrmann at the time of event, so you need not worry if
you have not taken part in an on-line event before.

With best greetings
/Kári