[OSList] Exploring the principles: Whatever happens is the only thing that could have

chris.corrigan at gmail.com chris.corrigan at gmail.com
Wed Oct 30 12:40:35 PDT 2013

I love this principle because it’s the one I have the hardest time with.

My practice has been to let it lead me to reflection.  Whatever happens is the only thing that could have happened is always true.  And initial conditions matter.  And we always have choices.

So when things go in a way that I didn’t want them to go the first thing to do is reflect on my own expectations and my own positioning.  Did I have the power to influence things?  If yes, why?  If no, why?  Why did I have power?

Also self-organization is interesting because I can see that in groups of people there are never blank states.  Social relationships influence and distort the idea that in every open space you are starting with an exactly equal set of possibilities.  There are all kinds of factors at play so many that you can never control them.  And if you try to pre-plan an event to influence certain patterns, you will almost always be surprised.  So be prepared for that!

Whatever happens goes with be prepared, in my world.  That was always my candidate for the fifth principle, because that’s one that is worth being reminded of.

So sometimes whatever happens happens and then you are left with regreat and anger and grief.  It is important to recognize that THAT is happening too, and to host it.  Sometimes the things that is happening is that I am making a huge mistake.  And that happens.  So while all this is true, it doesn’t let one off the hook from continuing to engage with what has happened now, it just makes my response cleaner.

So maybe this is my way of long windedly saying that I like your editiing of the principle:  “Whatever happens, happens.  Be prepared to be surprised.”

Chris