[OSList] OST / Gaming

Harold Shinsato harold at shinsato.com
Thu Oct 24 17:52:33 PDT 2013

"our current discussion of Gaming (Game theory, Finite and Infinite
Games, etc). [...] I still don't understand how it advances our
understanding of our world as encountered in Open Space, and more
specifically, how it enables me to more effectively navigate that world
for myself, and with others, who may choose the journey."

There are two beautifully contradictory answers to this:

1) It makes no difference.
2) It makes worlds and worlds of difference.

I experience much truth in both answers. And looking at those "answers"
as conversations, there are many more questions in each answer. Are both
conversations truly welcome?

Let me speak to conversation one. People encountering Open Space for the
first time don't need more than those 10-15 minutes to be invited to
play in it. In fact, adding much more to those minutes usually starts
crowding out the voice of the new person being invited in.

What about people wanting to facilitate Open Space? There are multiple
books. Multiple trainings. Does one really need more than the
description of OST on wikipedia to do it? If that becomes an excuse for
not setting up an Open Space that's ready to happen - then I say the
answer is No No No! You're ready, you can do it, you can learn as you go.

I'm sure I could go on and on with scenarios where more than the basics
is not helpful.

That said, I'm still wishing there were more space for conversation 2.
Hey, maybe I'm hallucinating, but it's persistently feeling like the
people in conversation one are saying "You shouldn't be in conversation
two". Psychological safety? I'm not feeling it.

     Harold

--
Harold Shinsato
harold at shinsato.com <mailto:harold at shinsato.com>