[OSList] Opening Space in mixed/low literacy community

chris.corrigan at gmail.com chris.corrigan at gmail.com
Thu Oct 3 16:18:10 PDT 2013

John Engle has written extensively on this with his experience in Haiti over the years.

I have used his version of an oral market place, whereby participants declare the conversations they want to have and stand in a place in the room.  After all the places are filled, people choose which conversation to be a part of.  At the end of the first round, the group reconvenes and new sessions are declared.

Harvesting of the sessions can be orally as well, perhaps with someone who can write well taking notes form the summaries.  Alternatively, people can be videoed or recorded telling the story of what happened in their session and a collective video can be made of the results.

Chris