[OSList] waveriding in Oz

Hege Steinsland steinslandhege at gmail.com
Wed Nov 27 01:30:32 PST 2013

Thank you so much Michael, for this long and detailed reply. It s a gift!
You`ve given me another gift in your article about Christian leadership, Theology and emergence. I`ve really learnt a lot from that! In this article you describe Open space and dialog circle as two very helpful and rich ways of working. Im quite familiar with Open Space, but I`m eager to hear more about ways to use storytelling or dialog circles ( is this two words for more or less the same thing?)

In the Church of Norway there is quite a lot of frustrations and insecurity nowadays, due to different things. One of them is big changes in the relations between the state and the church and discussions and processes about how to set the new church organizations. This leads to discussions and arguments more than conversations, and a lot of focus on structure more than on purpose and care for the system more than the person in the system. Many of the people in the church are suffering, and there is, In my experience, a lac of openness and trust and more conflict, frustration and disillusions.
(There are also wonderful things going on, especially in the work with children)

I`ve been a part of the church system for 22 years myself as a lay leader ( a system that is special in Norway where we have a lay leader next to the clergy with wide responsibility for work in the church). I left this position and started as an consultant three years ago. Every now and than I`m contacted by churches that find themselves in trouble.

I think Open Space can be a very good way of working, but maybe we need some storytelling as well? Leaders are afraid to open up, because they dont know what will come out in the open, and what to do with it?
In storytelling, as I understand it, we tell our stories to each other, without arguing og commenting, but just to listen to it? As a kind of greafwork.

I would love some shared experience, and some backup on how to think about the use of this method, if you have some more to share?
What kind of questions are useful for the dialog circle? how many people? how many stories? What do we do after the stories are told? And wow do we prepare?
I know I´m very detail oriented in this phase of exploring a new tool, but that´s how it is to be inexperienced and gaining courage to do something new :-)

If you can find time to share some more, I´m most grateful.

All the best from
Hege Steinsland