[OSList] Dancing with Shiva

Harrison Owen hhowen at verizon.net
Wed Nov 20 13:02:58 PST 2013

You got it all right Chris... but I'm afraid the hat is Texas. The Akubra
disappeared in the overhead bin on a flight out of Hong Kong. But there is a
story to the Texas Hat...always a story.

25 years ago I had a client in East Texas. I arrived for the gig wearing
some sort of hat (probably from Wyoming) and my client took one look and
said, "Boy, that ain't no hat." We got into his pickup, drove 150 miles to
nowhere, and stopped at a crossroads. Wasn't much there save for a gas
station, post office, general store and Manny's Texas Hatters. Went inside,
and there wasn't a hat to be seen, but Many was there and the conversation
started. We talked about everything: politics, religion, the soul, my life,
his life... and after a while, Many said, "Well, I think I'll make you a
hat." He took me into the next room which was filled with hats, all shapes
and sizes, everyone Texas. But you couldn't buy a one. We talked for an hour
or so about the sort of hat I might like, using all the available hats as
referents. The conversation suddenly stopped and Many said, "I got it."  Six
weeks later, my hat arrived. There is no other hat in the world just like
it. Seriously.

I don't know where the truth might be in all this, but maybe it will show
up.

Harrison

Harrison Owen

7808 River Falls Dr.

Potomac, MD 20854

USA

189 Beaucaire Ave. (summer)

Camden, Maine 04843

Phone 301-365-2093

(summer)  207-763-3261

www.openspaceworld.com

www.ho-image.com (Personal Website)

To subscribe, unsubscribe, change your options, view the archives of OSLIST
Go to: