[OSList] OS for Dementia?

Sara Mandal-Joy smjlist at valnet.net
Sat Nov 16 17:03:58 PST 2013

I so honor your ponderings...   Having cared for a (now) middle-aged man
with down syndrome, who developed extremely early onset dementia in
young adulthood - for the last 20 years, and recently also am caring for
my best friend's 80 year old mother with moderate dementia - I can tell
you that there IS someone home, and given "space" there is
communication.  Its not left brained, logical, sequential, but its
there, and its vital that it be given space, listened to, attended to.
  It takes a lot of listening, a lot of learning, to "get" the messages
sometimes.  But if I "get it" wrong that becomes obvious as we go along.
   I think what you are considering is well worth while.  So many assume
that as the typical forms of communication and reasoning are more
difficult to access, that there is no ability or presence or need for
anything other than physical care and kindness.  Granted, physical care
and kindness are also vital.  But how kind is it to assume that just
because someone isn't seemingly able to communicate in the ways we find
most familiar and accessible, that there is nothing that person is
wanting or able to share?  The truth is, learning to listen and "hear"
non-linear communication can be immensely gifting.  Thank you!!   Sara