[OSList] OSList Digest, Vol 33, Issue 7

Michael Wood michael.wood at uwa.edu.au
Wed Nov 6 17:57:46 PST 2013

Hello Kari,

In relation to OST training, I have recently done a couple of three day OST trainings (action-learnings) for church leaders and also help out on trainings run by Brendan McKeauge here in Perth. The format I used with church leaders is pretty much as described in Diane's response to you. Towards the end of Day 1, after they have experienced an OST meeting, I invite them to get into groups of 3-4 for about 20 min to reflect on two questions ('what did you notice about the process' and 'what questions are emerging'). I ask them to write one question on a piece of A4 paper with marker pens. Then we come back into the main circle and throw the questions on the floor and then, as a group, constellate the questions into themes. Generally the themes tend to naturally fall into about three main areas (i) preparation work with the sponsor (ii) set up and facilitation on the day (iii) convergence and post open space. The constellated themes then form the 'agenda' for the next couple of days.

I also keep a little 'check list' up my sleeve to ensure we cover at some stage (which are pretty much the areas which Diane listed in her response to you). Interestingly we just about always end up covering these areas anyone from the question which people put on the floor at the end of Day 1. Somewhere along the way I want to help the group think about the underlying themes of self organising systems rather than just the 'mechanics' of OST process. Some of the diagrams from Peggy Holman's book 'Engaging Emergence' are very helpful here, along with the eight principles from Harrison Owen's book 'Waverider'. It can be helpful for people to think about 'what would it mean for me to be a 'waverider' in everyday life and leadership, not just when I am formally sponsoring or facilitating an OST event?

Lisa Heft has a very good 'Open Space  Ideas Book' which I understand she is happy for people to use with appropriate acknowledgement to Lisa (I make an honorarium donation to Lisa when I use this resource).

All the best with your training.

Michael Wood
Perth, Western Australia
www.michaeljohnwood.com