[OSList] Follow-Up and Flow in Open Space

Peggy Holman peggy at peggyholman.com
Tue Mar 26 17:01:54 PDT 2013

I love the weave of the practical -- client expectations about outcomes -- and the philosophic -- the nature of time -- that informs it.  I have a thought on each of them.

On the nature of time, I recall Harrison using a term when I first ran into Open Space in 1994 to describe how we experience time in Open Space.  He said it was polychromatic. It perfectly described my experience.  I just looked up a description.  This seemed a good one:

http://theviralloop.wordpress.com/2011/01/20/living-in-polychromatic-time/
Do you remember those situations where the time just flew by?  This was polychromic time as your attention was “refracted” by various activities all taking place in the same frame of reference which caused time to seem to move faster.

I think the Greeks used kronos and kairos to describe ordinary and special time.  From wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kairos
While the former refers to chronological or sequential time, the latter signifies a time between, a moment of indeterminate time in which something special happens.

This difference in how we experience time was one of the reasons that I fell in love with Open Space.  It didn't require a facilitator to decide the sequence in which things needed to occur.  Rather, those who wished to deal with the past, perhaps making peace with it, could do so.  Those who wanted to envision new possibilities were free to run with that. And those who wanted to deal with what was happening right here and now also got their needs met.  And everyone got the benefit from each other's work.

That brilliant and innate level of self-organizing couldn't possibly be managed as effectively to outcome!

Which brings me to the notion of starting the work on outcomes before the space is opened.  What a brilliant insight!  I see it all as the story or lens we wish to use to make sense of our world.  When I think about applying this idea, as Paul said, whatever is put on the table will irritate and inspire.  And evolve as people interact through their exploration.

So it strikes me that when there's an expectation of outcomes, I can engage consciously with the kairos or polychromatic nature of Open Space time by asking questions that are congruent with that expectation.  Questions like, Given where we are, what's possible now?  What are the best possible outcomes? etc.

My two cents on a sunny day in Seattle,
Peggy

_________________________________
Peggy Holman
peggy at peggyholman.com
Twitter: @peggyholman

15347 SE 49th Place
Bellevue, WA  98006
425-746-6274
www.peggyholman.com
www.journalismthatmatters.org

Enjoy the award winning Engaging Emergence: Turning Upheaval into Opportunity

"An angel told me that the only way to step into the fire and not get burnt, is to become
the fire".
  -- Drew Dellinger