[OSList] What are your thoughts on venue size selection?

Michael M Pannwitz mmpannwitz at gmail.com
Tue Mar 19 05:44:45 PDT 2013

I see it about the same way as you, Gerardo, the number of people in an
open space is in relation to the main space where everyone is gathering
for the start, the bulletin board and the market.
My rule of thumb is to ask how many folks the room will hold theater
style seating (in rows) and divide that by 3 (for larger rooms you can
also get the number of chairs allowed by the firedepartment and divide
by three)... that usually allows both for the circle and enough space
for the bulletin board.
Of course, the shape is important.
Karis large room is fairly perfect, in my experience, with dimensions
similar to that of an A4 sheet (3 x 2), leaving enough space at either
end of the room for the bulletin board... or for one or two breakout
spaces for the time after the opening with some breaking up of the
initial circle.
You can probably get everyone to sit in one real circle with about 35
people, or have a very perfect circle with about 22 people and then add
parts of circles on the two edges facing the narrow side of the room to
accomodate about 40 people.
Of course, the neat approach is to have a good guess at how many people
are expected and search for a venue THEN.
Another observation I have made is that the space is never too large...
and spacious is grand for open space... with the additional option to
have all of the action (breakout spaces etc.) all in one space for
everyone to see the whole action all the time (the never-ending buffet
is better outside in the hallway close to the news wall).

Greetings from Berlin where I told a potential client a couple of weeks
ago that the space he has for his event with 400 folks is big enough for
a 135 people open space... no response!
mmp