[OSList] Ready!

Linda Stevenson stevenson8899 at msn.com
Sun Mar 17 11:02:11 PDT 2013

For almost twenty years, I have been ready to bring the experience of intentional self-organization via Open Space to organizations and communities across the globe.  And as Harrison has pointed out from the beginning, trying to sell this is like trying to teach a pig to sing:  the pig doesn't like it, and it sounds terrible!  From my experience over the years, Harrison's insight was accurate. However, perhaps because the more prescriptive interventions alone are not enough in these complex times and/or frustration is building, there is more readiness to try new approaches, even the simplicity and non-prescriptive self-organizing approach of Open Space (what people perceive before hand as foreign and a waste of time, but is actually what they already know how to do in order to create the most effective and efficient results).  There is a growing heart-felt ache to experience authentic and adaptive leadership and the corresponding benefits.

Thanks to Michele Norris, a member of the WOSonOS Global Host team in Florida, from whom I received this excerpted video clip of the 2011 World Economic Forum in Davos featuring the new young global shapers, the millennials: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B0hJ8JesQDPAN1ZHN3UtZHJOUnc/edit?pli=1  which includes the following compelling comments on leadership: We're so effectively connected and are not needing hierarchies.We're incredibly passionate and not afraid to fail.It's important to collaborate with both the young and the old.Values include be open, interconnectivity, equity, empowerment, interconnectivity, respect, honesty, and authenticity.Leadership is defined as the role where you facilitate a team of people for creating the best results (not about having a solution at the beginning but creating the environment for the best people in your group to ultimately achieve the most cohesive answer.)Leadership should be more inclusive and collaborative and take in the recommendations of others.Leadership is all about a culture which is incredibly supported by every team member available to call anytime.Leaders can bring out the talents of any person in any situation which is so, so supportive.Leadership inspiration and wisdom can be learned from the older generations.
Leader is anyone who can allow people to do more and do better than any one can do on their own.Transparency in leadership and communicating values are more important than popularity.

These young millennials are screaming Open Space!  They are ready to experience leadership of the self-organizing kind, and ready to collaborate with the old.  I find our theme for this year's WOSonOS in Florida very appropriate:  The World Is Waiting - Are We Ready?

Hope to see you there,
Linda