[OSList] Smallest group OS

Lisa Heft lisaheft at openingspace.net
Sun Jun 23 17:46:48 PDT 2013

So that is what I see happen a lot, as well, Adriana.
People do not seem to take the time to explore the "why" behind
process, behind facilitating - Open Space or other processes.

In Open Space, for example, the principles and law may be listed
somewhere on a link - but that is different than naming them clearly
as invitations about opportunities and possibilities.
And so many people do not go to that link anyway.

And just saying the words of the principles - how could people know
what that means if they have not experienced the model? It is a
different way to think about being in groups.

So I feel that the participants - and the work at hand - deserve
someone holding the space in a way that (some may speak in
illustrative language, some may speak in more concise language, it is
often cultural) - not just 'says' the principles or posts them, but
explains them within the context of the meeting.

Sure, it can happen well anyway.

But I find there is a difference to the experience if the person
facilitating is not just doing what is visible to the participants
(circle, topics on the wall / marketplace, some guidelines posted
somewhere) - but really truly making these guidelines / this material
accessible and understandable to all - and really truly understanding
the dynamics of participants in this process and their own role and
dynamic in it.

What do others think?

Lisa