[OSList] Q re: "Preparing" for Passionate Discussions....

Harrison Owen hhowen at verizon.net
Sat Jun 22 04:52:18 PDT 2013

Metta -- Nice to see you here! And Koos has it right, so far as I am
concerned. Prepare anything you want to -- but the wall starts empty! For
particularly anxious execs I sometimes suggest that they prepare a list of
all the "vital" topics -- and put that list in their pocket. Then, when all
the issues have been posted, take out the list and compare. Most often, the
Anxious Exec (AE) has become so involved in the process, which does go
pretty fast, that they totally forget to check their list. The minority that
do remember find that their list has been covered and/or some critical item
didn't seem so critical anymore. There was one odd case. The AE checked his
list against the wall and there was absolutely no correlation. He was sorely
tempted to intervene and impose his list, but I made it very clear that of
course he was free to do that, (he owned the company) but he should know
that were he to take that step, I was gone. He bit his tongue and we
proceeded. Over the course of the several day meeting, it became very clear
that the disparity between what the AE desired and everybody else felt
passionate about created massive obstacles to the company's performance. In
the closing circle, he resigned as CEO -- and to the best of my knowledge,
they all lived happily ever after.

ho

Harrison Owen
7808 River Falls Dr.
Potomac, MD 20854
USA

189 Beaucaire Ave. (summer)
Camden, Maine 04843

Phone 301-365-2093
(summer)  207-763-3261

www.openspaceworld.com
www.ho-image.com (Personal Website)
To subscribe, unsubscribe, change your options, view the archives of OSLIST
Go to:http://lists.openspacetech.org/listinfo.cgi/oslist-openspacetech.org