[OSList] Reminder: Poetry Contest Spring 2013 - cast your dots until midnight June 7

Jonathan Coe coej66 at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 7 00:20:34 PDT 2013

to help me score I put together this grid, which you might find helpful.

  No.

  Title

  Score 0-5

  1

  Loving My Blank Walls

  2

  WOSONOS 2012

  3

  ‘Help us to just be’

  4

  ‘space’

  5

  Saving the Rhinos and Me

  6

  Space Open Circle

  7

  Spaces Made Holy for the Rhino

Jonathan

From: lisaheft at openingspace.net
To: OSList at lists.openspacetech.org
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2013 17:30:33 -0700
Subject: [OSList] Reminder: Poetry Contest Spring 2013 - cast your dots	until midnight June 7

Here is your reminder to cast your virtual dots before midnight on Friday June 7, wherever you live...
From: Lisa Heft <lisaheft at openingspace.net>Date: May 28, 2013 9:05:54 PM PDTTo: OSLIST <OSList at lists.openspacetech.org>Subject: Poetry Contest Spring 2013 - cast...your...dots...until midnight June 7
 And now, with excitement, dear readers, I offer you the entries in the Spring 2013 OSLIST Poetry Contest!
As it is traditionally an invitation for poetry about or inspired by Open Space - plus a recommendation about form or content (‘restricted form poetry’), this particular contest invited the creation of original poetry with two guidelines:
About Open Space    -and-    describing success and productivity in Open Space
Here are the lovely entries. At the moment, the poets are anonymous.
_________________
Now, imagine you have 5 virtual sticky-dots to spend.Let your mind and body and spirit and heart help you place 0 to 5 virtual dots on any or all of the poems that move and inspire you. You can even vote for yourself.
Send me a direct email to lisaheft at openingspace.net to let me know how many dots you are placing on #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6 and or #7, below. This part of the Poetry Contest is open until midnight (wherever you live) on Friday, June 7.
After which I will announce the next OSLIST Poet Laureate and reveal our lovely poets - plus a few more notes about some of these poems.
Here...we...go...
_________________
Loving My Blank Walls  I love my blank walls They are empty spacesFor treasures of my heart They are my open spacesWhere I play and dance There I drawDreams and visions There I start anewAwakening fresh each morning There my mind wandersColoring my canvass with ideas There I forgetAnd I remember There I amThere I am not

_________________
WOSONOS 2012

In Stoke Newington Town Hall I fell in love with nothing,and it was no thing that I loved.
Alone, knowing no-one and nothing I walked the circleI got presentI was connected.
Presence,absence.									The empty space of the opening circle.Profoundly empty,containing no thing
Through me everything and no-thing, in methe circle, in methe space, in methe people, in mebutterflies and bumblebees.  In mebody, in memind, in meimage, in methought, in mefeeling, in mesensation, in menothing.
It started at the right timeThe right people were the ones who cameThe only thing that could have happenedWas what happenedIt was over when it was over.
The bees were buzzingThe 'flies were flittingThe space was open.The circle was squared.

_________________
 Help us to just beNot controlling
Help us share what we learnedTo listen to everyone since we are all brilliant and wise
Fill us with hopeSo that we may be the rockets and stars in open space
As we sit at the edge of the lake, keep us still and peacefulSo that we can marvel at the beauty of open spaces
Thank you for the gift of the momentTo slow down, because to be slow also means to be fast
Lead us to walk towards what is life giving
We were initially hesitantBut we have learned to open ourselves to others
We have found the open space in our silence within
>From living in tight spacesWe now know how to live in open spaces
We thank the sacred sourceFor the space of humility and listening from the heartFor our nature is to be free Within this happy sacred circleHelp us bring healing to others Make our circle continuously openSo that our learning will never stop Thank you that we have regained our lost passionAnd turned our cynicism into idealism Beyond this meetingUse our passions to shape a better future May this be just a beginning of more open spacesNew choices, which are the key to freedom Keep us curiousHelp us sustain the convergence Instill in us a sense of urgencyTo embrace and own the direction towards what is right and good.

[a note from the poet about #3: this is ‘found poetry’ created from participants’ comments and reflections during an Open Space event’s Closing Circle]
_________________

space,
opening
unfolding
wondrous

_________________

Saving the Rhinos and Me

 Can we really save the rhino?Or are we here to save ourselves? Are we talking about the rhino?Or are we talking about me and you? Should we talk about them?Or should be talk about us? It’s hard when we have to look out thereWhen the answers are all in here Is it the Rhino who’s running out of time?Or it is us who are chasing the past? Tomorrow seems to be nowAnd today seems to have gone by We’ve all come from places near or farDoes your presence have a reason and a rhyme How can we make our conversationsMean more than what we came here for Perhaps we all want answersThe question is: what is the question? How can we find what’s good for the rhino?If we can’t find what’s good for ourselves Let’s try to listen moreTo the calling that’s within Let’s try to open up the spacesFor the wisdom we all have to share!

_________________

Space Open Circle

The circle is the fundamental geometryof human communication.
A circle has no head or feet,no high or lowno sides to take;in a circle people can simply bewith each other,face to face.
The geometry of the circle and the rhythm of breath.
Show UpBe PresentTell The TruthLet It All Go.
Do nothing and remaininvisible.
Be preparedto besurprised.
Who ever heard of a square of friends?

[a note from the poet about #6: this is ‘found poetry’ created from the text of “Open Space Technology: A User’s Guide by Harrison Owen]

Spaces Made Holy for the Rhino
I sit on holy ground As people open spacesTo try to save the rhinothere are spacesBetween usAbove usInside usTo voiceTo listenTo RespectAnd to suspendWe are holding the spaceFor a flow of meaningThat will be shared by allEven for difficult momentsWe seek to keep the space openToday, I stand firmly on holy ground

Cast...your...dots...until midnight (wherever you live) on June 7...

LisaOSLIST Poet Laureate Spring 2006