[OSList] Leadership denial?

Barry Owen barryo at comcast.net
Sun Jun 23 15:05:21 PDT 2013

Hi Folks,

I haven't spoken here in a while . . . here goes . . .

I've gotta vent for a moment. I'm a member of an association which is
literally on the brink of extinction because their entire source of income
evaporated due to 2 things - The economic downturn . . . and the advent of
new technology and crafty competitors who have figured out how to "give for
free" the very service (Continuing Education) this association has (for
years) controlled locally as its primary income.

There are MANY members who have great ideas (including me) of creative ways
to shift with the new environment (adapt) and survive, but the Leadership
has created an iron wall of protection for the way they've always done
things.

I've offered - suggested - written "white papers" - Sat on their board of
Directors to be a voice . . . but the "Leadership" chooses to be blind and
deaf.

The most recent meeting I attended was sad indeed as the leader spoke for
45 minutes about all of the doom and gloom . . . and dutifully had a
"reason" that every new suggestion that surfaced could not work . . . Most
of it centered around not wanting to violate "current policy"

I'm at the point of realizing that my efforts are for naught and that my
best course of action very well may be to do nothing . . . and let it die.

Maybe when the death nears, the current Leaders will leave, and we can
breathe new life into whatever remains.

This is case study on a simple truth:

We cannot "SELL" Open Space Technology to Leaders in denial that their
personal need to control will likely be the death of their organization.

True?