[OSList] Do we really need chairs in Open Space?

Lisa Heft lisaheft at openingspace.net
Tue Jul 30 18:00:28 PDT 2013

Hello most fabulous Pablo.

I would not be able to attend your lovely Open Space event.

It would hurt my body. I need to sit and stand and sway. But zero
sitting would tire my diversely disabled body out.

If in your pre-registration you have asked about mobility, different
abilities and other aspects that might inform environment, materials
and furniture, then you might have this information about your
participants. However some people feel so lively (including myself)
that they might not fill out any information that identifies them as
disabled.

I also am curious as to how short this time is - if wonderful
conversation is to happen, I think chairs are useful - because the
other people can easily opt out of chairs by standing or sitting on
the ground. But the different-bodies folks cannot opt out if there are
no chairs. Many of us can or cannot sit on the ground, for example, or
stand for long periods of time. So we would self-organize ourselves
away, thus reducing the diversity person by person.

So to me it is about diversity, inclusion and access.

And if less chairs are available, the question to me is - how many can
we get, how do we help in seating in other creative ways, is this the
right site for the process we wish to use, does everyone have comfort
so they can think well - all that is universal, not just about Open
Space.

I don't think it's an untouchable subject to ask. Keep asking, and I
look forward to hearing others' thoughts and experiences.

Okay not I am thinking of unleashing collective wisdom through self-
organization and I am thinking that maybe several peoples' collective
wisdom is to become my chair.
Very soft, always moving, full of laughter. Or maybe your umbrella
question is my solution. I could use your (open) umbrella (question)
as my chair. Okay okay I will stop now...

Abrazos,
Lisa