[OSList] Ang.: OS with remote participants - state of the art

eiwor@gatewayc.com eiwor at gatewayc.com
Sun Jul 28 13:04:07 PDT 2013

By the way, there is a free download of our little book on online collaboration on the website www.collaborativeways.com. it is based on some of my research about online work and communication.
Eiwor

Skickat från min HTC

----- Reply message -----
Från: "Paul Nunesdea" <nunesdea at me.com>
Till: "World wide Open Space Technology email list" <oslist at lists.openspacetech.org>
Rubrik: [OSList] OS with remote participants - state of the art
Datum: sön, jul 28, 2013 19:53
Dear Listers,
Apologies if this is a repeated theme but in my last OS hybrid meeting I was challenged by the immense difficulty of having remote participants to participate in the marketplace and then running the corresponding breakout sessions. We managed great content production nevertheless with the support of Google Hangouts and an Agile tool called Symphony adapted for 'marketplace' but I would figure that there could be better tools out there.
I also have recently participated in a post WOSonOS with an audio web-conference platform that allowed breakout groups and this worked well in conjunction with a Google shared doc although the small group 'audio' organization was not that smooth process I thought it should be.
I recently inquired in another forum about BlackBoard (BB) Collaborate and bellow is an answer I have got. I figure that this platform could be well suited for OS hybrid meetings, specially because it allows for flip-charts in the breakout rooms.
Has someone experienced using BB Collaborate in OS? Any other experiences in supporting OS hybrid meetings with remote participants?
Also if it is not asking too much... what would be the major advice in order to keep OS as effective as it can be whilst having people attending remotely?
Thanks in advance,Paul
-----
Paul, if I can respond as well to your question about Blackboard Collaborate, as I use it frequently: Blackboard Collaborate has whiteboards and simple visual tools so that any participant can draw or write in a choice of colours. Diagrams can be drawn on the board, or made in PowerPoint and uploaded. The facilitator/moderator can give anyone permission to upload. There are great breakout groups with their own VOIP (and video, if wanted). The data from a breakout whiteboard can be selected, copied, and pasted back on the main whiteboard by participants or the facilitator. Whole whiteboards can be moved from the breakout group to the main room. There is also chat, polling, the ability to share applications on desktops, share documents, and tour websites. There are easily accessible emoticons which blink by a participants name for a few seconds, which I encourage people to use to share reactions (as I said in my post above).
I prefer it to Adobe Connect and other programs because it mimics the behaviour of a whiteboard and face-to-face group, and thus requires fewer "work-arounds".
From my iPad