[OSList] OS with remote participants - state of the art

Lisa Heft lisaheft at openingspace.net
Sun Jul 28 12:57:56 PDT 2013

Paul - my advice for anything which is wishing to approximate a face-
to-face dynamic / process / experience - however having it (or part of
it) be virtual / online / remote inclusion:

Know very very well what the face-to-face human dynamics are - of
access, inclusion, differences in visible and felt responses, how the
'room' feels, what supports and honors individual thinkers as well as
topics that larger numbers of people join, and how the facilitator is,
is present, holds the space (visibly and invisibly) and so on. How
diverse people absorb and share information (some through text, some
audio, some not, some kinesthetic, some graphic)... and then find (and
explore) the technology that expands or approximates how the humans
are in that face to face. So that whenever you think of adding /
selecting technology, it is used in service to the process / as an
extension of how diverse humans already interact - rather than the
process or humans fitting in to an already-decide-upon tool or
platform. Also that thinking about whether having everyone across time
zones connecting in real time is favorable (to have a felt sense of
shared space), whether online workspaces or interactive notes
platforms in-between 'meetings' are held and felt (rather than feeling
like a little isolated breakout room way way down the hall in the
other building), and so on.

Our colleagues here are doing many amazing experiments, analysis,
reflection and re-tooling of various online tools and platforms, and
they will share this here with you.
So my comment is more about 'which tool is best' but 'think about how
you use the tool to approximate, enhance and engage the humans and the
human dynamics.'

Lisa