[OSList] Toyota or equivalent / Leadership

Harrison Owen hhowen at verizon.net
Tue Jul 16 12:08:16 PDT 2013

Anna -- Sounds like a marvelous new adventure. Doubtless you will find some
great stories and thinking in the writings of Marv Weisbord and Eric Trist.
Eric was before my time, and Marv is an old friend. But I think you may have
(your "guinea pig may have) two separate interests here: Participatory
Leadership and Wisdom of the Whole. Of course they could be the same thing,
but typically people like Trist and Weisbord understood Leadership to be
more or less equated with the Formal Leadership of an organization, and the
effort was to help them (The Leaders) share their task. But there was never
any question as to Who the Leader(s) was.

"Wisdom of the Whole," seems to me, come from a very different place.
Leadership in that situation is understood to be a function or a role that
may in fact be performed by anybody and (over time) everybody. And
Leadership is never to be limited to, or equated with the Formal Leaders.
Many people would see this as a confusing, perhaps revolutionary thought.
After all things could get out of hand, confused, to say nothing of chaotic.
Might we say, Out of Control!

This, of course, is precisely the problem (opportunity) lots of folks have
with Open Space, especially when they just hear about it. After all, nobody
is in charge. Everybody is -- And that, I think is real Participatory
Leadership. Leadership is not something to be shared, if only because it is
the possession and birthright of everybody. No need for a share of something
you already possess!

To me, this takes us to the heart of the lesson from Open Space. Sure it is
a nice meeting methodology, a "tool" for group work, a "process, if you
will... but that is just the beginning, and a very small beginning. At the
end of the day it (OS) is an experience of, and training in real leadership
-- What I have called Authentic Leadership.

And of course, I just happen to have written a book that explains all this:
"Wave Rider: Leadership for High Performance in a Transforming World" :-)

Harrison

Potomac, MD 20854
USA

189 Beaucaire Ave. (summer)
Camden, Maine 04843

Phone 301-365-2093
(summer)  207-763-3261

www.openspaceworld.com
www.ho-image.com (Personal Website)
To subscribe, unsubscribe, change your options, view the archives of OSLIST
Go to:http://lists.openspacetech.org/listinfo.cgi/oslist-openspacetech.org