[OSList] The Bell of the Silence

Chris Corrigan chris at chriscorrigan.com
Tue Jul 2 17:05:22 PDT 2013

Bells are massively powerful.  Used sparingly they function as Paul has
described.  And they always betray the inner state of the person holding
them.  If you pick them up mindlessly, they clatter and clang and their
power is immediately made diffuse and impotent.  Once the bells have been
used badly, they almost never have the power they once had and you have to
revert to other methods to get people back together.

Open Space is a crazy methodology.  It fluctuates power from single source
to diffuse community and back again.  When you are walking the circle, you
have incredible power to use or misuse.  When you vacate the centre, if you
have not left your power there through a powerful invitation, the group can
stay stuck.  It requires of the facilitator a balancing act between being
the sole guardian of the process and letting go completely so that the
group can do that.  It is sensitive to boundary conditions (for without
boundaries the space is open like a flood).  But if your fears
and anxieties permeate that space, the power fluctuates and gets confused.

And if you aren't aware with your own personal security and stability as a
facilitator, just pick up the bells.  They will tell you all you need to
know about what's going on inside you.

Oh yeah...facilitating Open Space is a piece of cake.  Simple.  Just make
friends with power, and you're all set!

Chris

On Tue, Jul 2, 2013 at 4:06 PM, Harrison Owen <hhowen at verizon.net> wrote:

> Nice Paul! And most interesting. Never thought of the Bells as a Power
> Instrument... but I suppose anything can be perverted. Still and all, Power
> is only powerful when it is given away. Even the Bells (most especially the
> Bells) have power when they go to silence. Nothing...and everything.****
>
> ** **
>
> Harrison****
>
> ** **
>
> Harrison Owen****
>
> 7808 River Falls Dr.****
>
> Potomac, MD 20854****
>
> USA****
>
> ** **
>
> 189 Beaucaire Ave. (summer)****
>
> Camden, Maine 04843****
>
> ** **
>
> Phone 301-365-2093****
>
> (summer)  207-763-3261****
>
> ** **
>
> www.openspaceworld.com <http://www.openspaceworld.com%20> ****
>
> www.ho-image.com <http://www.ho-image.com%20> (Personal Website)****
>
> To subscribe, unsubscribe, change your options, view the archives of
> OSLIST Go to:
>
> ** **

---
CHRIS CORRIGAN
Facilitation - Training - Process Design
Open Space Technology

Site: http://www.chriscorrigan.com

*Upcoming workshops*

Authentic Leadership In Action<http://aliainstitute.org/blog/track/2013-aoh/> -
Halifax, NS, Canada
*Designing Strategic Change from the Inside Out*
June 16 - 21, 2013

Art of Hosting <http://aohrivendell.withtank.com/> - Participatory
Leadership and Social Collaboration
November 11-14, 2013, Bowen Island, BC, Canada.
*

Upcoming Art of Hosting in Toronto, Montreal, Chicago and San Francisco.
Email me for more information.