[OSList] A visit, a query, an encounter and a thought post WOS2013

Alan Stewart alan at multimindsolutions.com
Wed Jul 17 21:07:19 PDT 2013

Hi All

Here are some reflections and follow-ups on my experiencing associated with
my recent going along to WOSonOS2013 <http://wosonos2013.crowdvine.com/> in
St Petersburg. Which may trigger you to appreciate that there is more to it
when considering whether to head off to Belgrade next year. <smile>

Firstly, I would add to what others have reported, that this WOS was a most
happy event, lovingly and thoughtfully convened by Suzanne and her merry
gang. There was wonder-full connecting between all present, including quite
a few who had been at previous such gatherings, one from the very first!
(This was my fifth, starting in Monterey, CA, in 1998). Also in attendance
was a group of ‘millennials’ (mainly graduate students at the local
University of South Florida) who participated in Lisa’s pre-conference
preparation and then in the main event. Which made for lively cross
generational exchanges and a lot of fun.

*. The visit*

Immediately after WOS I participated in a lovely 'confab of
conversationalists.' This took place at the home of my old friends Juanita
Brown and David Isaacs, ‘co-noticers’ of the process now also used widely
around our little planet, 3rd from the sun, The World
Cafe<http://www.theworldcafe.com/history.html>.
They have recently relocated to ‘Millie’s Mountain’, a beautiful 90 acre
farm carved out by Juanita’s late parents, Millie and Harold, deep in the
Blue Ridge Mountains near to Asheville, NC. My visit was the catalyst for
their first ever gathering of Café and Space niks in the area.

*. The query*

*En route* from Australia to the USA I stopped in New Zealand where I
happened to talk with a person who is responsible for a review of services
of a major hospital. When he heard of how OST could be of value for this
purpose he expressed interest.

Are there any Spaceniks based in the Auckland area who would wish to pursue
this? If so contact me for details.

*. The encounter*

When moving on from Asheville to go to New York I was ‘stuck’ *en route* in
Charlotte, NC, for about 24 hours as flights north were cancelled due to
heavy ahead. And so I checked in to an hotel near to the airport and posted
a note on our list to ask if anyone local was available for a meet-up with
me Stammtisch style.

Not receiving a response I took a bus down town the next morning. There I
had a delightful encounter with an elderly African American couple who
happened to pick up the iPhone I had dropped. Hearing how I came to be in
their city for one day they said “We would like to take you under our
wing.” Which they did, very graciously. During which we drove through
fascinating parts, went to their home for a cup of tea and they dropped me
back at the airport. A most generous and thoughtful gesture on the part of
hitherto total strangers.

Whatever happens ...in this instance very enjoyably. <smile>

 *. The thought*

This was recently passed on to me in relation to work I am doing currently
from a person who has been an OST practitioner from its early beginnings
and who is likely known to many of you, at least from her periodic 'heart
and mindful' postings on this list.

"We carry community inside us. It's present whenever we gift any encounter
with our full heartful, mindful appreciative attention."
*Anne Stadler*

*
*Do the right thing, take risks, change your mind, have fun ...

Looking forward

Alan

*Alan Stewart, PhD
Social artist with conversations that matter and participatory fun*
*Based in Adelaide and operating throughout Austral-Asia
tel: **+618 82127168* <%2B618%2082127168>*
mob: **+61(0)413848680* <%2B61%280%29413848680>*
em: **alan at multimindsolutions.com* <alan at multimindsolutions.com>*
web: **http://www.multimindsolutions.com*<http://www.multimindsolutions.com/>
(under
reconstruction)*
**blog: **http://conversare.net* <http://conversare.net/>*
Stand-up: **http://www.takeoutcomedy.com/site/comedians/alan-stewart/*<http://www.takeoutcomedy.com/site/comedians/alan-stewart/>

*New e–book Time to converse – the heart of human
warmth<http://www.multimindsolutions.com/?page_id=243>