[OSList] open space in jeeps

Kári Gunnarsson kari.gunnarsson at simnet.is
Thu Jul 11 01:04:55 PDT 2013

I been wondering for a few years if anyone here has ever attempted to
host a moving open space.

If you are booking Iceland for your open space, then perhaps it would
be fun to see some sites and have discussion on the road. In my
extended family we have a tradition that every 3 years we meet for a
road trip. This road trip covers a short distance and is like an open
space. for we drive for 5 to 15 minutes and then we stop for an hour
in different locations where the power of the coffee brake takes over
and people gather to talk about what needs to be talked about. This
year we had 85 people in 20 jeeps driving around and mixing up the
groups every time. If discussion was not done, then it would continue
in the new place, the arrangement of people in jeeps was also
changeable based on what we needed to talk about. Even with the
possibly bad whether we can do this, as we all have nice clothing that
protects us from rain, snow and wind. If it rains then we keep our
papers in the jeeps.

Open Space meeting in jeeps on the road has the problem of
impermanence of space, as we are driving around. Any wall space would
need to be virtual. We already have good place markers that we take
with us, that is the jeeps them selves, as a different discussion
group can form next to jeep A or B. The time slots would be the place
names of the sites that we visit. Like "Jeep B at Geysir" would be a
group convening next to jeep B whenever we are next at the Geysir
site.

The traditional site seeing in groups is usually hosted with a site
guide that dumps to much information in to short of a time and hurries
along so most of the people become to tiered to talk about other
maters. This must be avoided, but we can still have some light and
informative information of the sites by use of the comm system in the
jeeps while approaching the sites. We can also tag along and enjoy the
sites while conversing with our groups by giving a little more time, I
would recommend to take a step out of the discussion to take in the
site and revive the power of the pure nature to fuel the spiritual
dimension of the discussion.

In my experiences, the energies and dimensions of a group of jeep
traveling have almost all the parts that can be used for a good open
space practice. The only missing part would be the wall that would
need to be implemented virtually with tablet or smart phone
application usable with an in jeep wifi / G4 system.

There are two major factors that drive me to these thoughts, one is
that the nature is marvels and it is a shame to be stuck in a building
when we can be traveling. And the other factor is that I like groups
to come to my small country for experiencing these marvels while going
on with the business that matters.

Any experiences, thoughts, opportunities or comments are welcome.