[OSList] Incorporating self-organized training/learning sessions into OST AND communicating OST to an uninitiated and distracted leadership

Tricia Chirumbole tricia at investorswithoutborders.net
Thu Jan 24 07:46:12 PST 2013

Thanks Lisa, Harrison, and Hege!

I am totally looking forward to jumping in, but you have sniffed out a
tendency in me Harrison - I can be a complication ninja!

That being said, my impulse and desire is for 2.5 days with one topic and I
will propose this with all fingers crossed.

My consideration of a second prompt focused on learning and training
sessions is motivated by the fact that the principles seem pretty attached
to the idea of the group engaging in specific skill transfer sessions and
peer support for active projects.

With two prompts, they could address current needs and perhaps get some
members to a place where they can start taking on new types of tasks asap,
while also addressing the concept of ongoing collaboration and competency
development.

There definitely are bottlenecks based on silos of skill (usually within
one or two people), so I can understand the urgency there and agree.

One of the main questions I still have is: What experiences does the group
have with participants actually "getting to work" in sessions, versus
engaging in dialogue and planning? And, does it  somehow dissolve some of
the impact of the self-organizing if a prompt were to specifically
encourage, if not require, that sessions could include hands on learning
and skill transfer?

I believe it can make sense within an Open Space environment and I can
imagine that it could "spontaneously" occur, but I also wonder if it can be
as effective if you let people know that they can bring out there work
tools and training hats - perhaps I am just a closet control freak :/ But
also trying to respond to the leaders' stated intent.

that all of the four principles - 2 in US - are overworked and
over-traveled on a regular basis. Additionally, it means that they are
performing almost all roles within the organization simultaneously, from
executing field work, to business development, to all the C-level
functions. Also fairly typical for a small business.

As I'm sure you can guess, this dynamic means there is little bandwidth for
charting and maintaining strategic direction, or for sustained focus on HR
development.

I may not be. I recognize from past efforts that they are not ready or able
to execute on many things I think would be "best", but I may still be
trying to push...really not sure!

I feel very confident that they would benefit from some new thinking on how
to plan and move forward, but you are right, if they are not prepared to
follow through..............maybe I just want to reduce my stress at
sitting through 3 days of ineffective blabber AND I want to play in OST!!!

:)))))) Thank you sooooo much again for reading through my lengthy epistle!
ciao!

Tricia Chirumbole
US: +1-571-232-0942
Skype: tricia.chirumbole