[OSList] Incorporating self-organized training/learning sessions into OST AND communicating OST to an uninitiated and distracted leadership

Lisa Heft lisaheft at openingspace.net
Tue Jan 22 12:35:49 PST 2013

Welcome Tricia!
The 'uninitiated' part of your title does not worry me. Everyone has a
first time, and Open Space is one of those processes for which
participants need no prior experience.
It is the 'distracted leadership' part of the title I am curious about.
Can you share more with us about that?
(and no matter how wonderful a process - how what comes of this event
- relationships, ideas, and so on) will be supported by leadership
post-event?

Otherwise, it is sometimes good to make the topic / reason for the
meeting a bit different so it connects more with personal efficacy /
productivity / leadership rather than something that would need a bit
of focused leadership from the top. In other words, meeting an
organization where it is - rather than where you hope it to be. I am
curious about your thoughts about that.

Also: in my experience - the less objectives / tasks, the better - the
less 'intervention' of adding another task or question mid-stream -
creates the greater opportunity for participant discussions to engage
on deeper and deeper levels over the time span of the meeting.
Although I have on occasion begun a Day 2 with another related
question (theme), I have wondered if that was because of my wish for
the group to progress there rather than my being exactly where they
are....

Lisa