[OSList] a fresh look at the meeting "agenda"

Lisa Heft lisaheft at openingspace.net
Thu Feb 21 07:34:27 PST 2013

What if when participants co-created the Agenda in the morning you
said 'and now we are about to start our sessions - if you have a topic
that comes up for you, you can certainly post it - but realize it will
not get this same kind of focus as it will at this moment.' (same
thought as Harrison) - then to me, all is solved. Occasionally someone
will put up a new topic sign for later in the day (so more people can
see it) and otherwise they carry these sudden new ideas into their
conversations later in the day without making a specific topic on the
wall. In addition it is to me essential not to squish or rush the time
for Agenda creation / opening, so that the reflective thinkers get to
come forward with topics - not just the quick-responders.

Consider if your wanting to bring the focus back to full group after
lunch - to have them do an afternoon Agenda or ask them if they want
to add anything to the Agenda - everyone listening at once - is...
- an intervention (intervening ... why?)
- an interruption into the layering of their thinking across the day
- your 'helping' when no help is needed - when they are perfectly
capable of doing what they need to do / posting some sessions,
carrying the idea for new thoughts inside them throughout other sessions
- a projection of your or your client's anxiety that they won't do
'enough'
- taking the responsibility for their productivity away from them

Just some thoughts. I am not saying 'don't do it!' - I am saying for
any single thing you do in a participant-driven dialogue environment -
Open Space or any other method - think not just of what something you
are thinking of doing / changing / adapting / adding will bring. Think
about what it will shift, move, offset. It is a living system so the
things we do or do not do have seen and unseen affects.  In some cases
increasing productivity, thought, and communication, in some cases
impacting / decreasing productivity, thought and communication.

The best part: if you feel clearly that something would help, and you
have asked yourself why you are adding this, and thinking it through,
and you still feel strongly that you should do it - try it! And share
the story with us of what you saw / noticed / felt / observed. And
through your passion and through your exploration, we all learn.

Lisa

Register now for the Fabulous Facilitation Conference!
March 6-8, 2013 - San Francisco