[OSList] No-Go-area's as OS facilitators

Jeff Aitken r.jeff.aitken at gmail.com
Mon Feb 4 10:00:07 PST 2013

Hi Kari,

I don't participate in breakouts when holding space.

The only time I have participated in a breakout session while in the
role of OS facilitator was at a small, local "open space on open
space' gathering here in San Francisco.

With fabulous Lisa Heft in attendance, I found it a teachable moment
to share with the other participants during evening news. I talked
about why I don't (typically) participate in breakouts, and then
reflected on the criteria I used for feeling OK about doing it at that
gathering:

- It was not a client's OS meeting intended to produce any client
outcome with which i'd be interfering by participating...

- It was a gathering of OS folks on the theme of OS, so it was a
chance to try it, and reflect on it with the group...

- All of the breakout sessions were being held inside a single large
room, which made a difference for me; I felt I could easily turn away
from the breakout and return to attention to the whole space... (but I
think I was fooling myself) ; )

I did not reflect on this further with Lisa or anyone after the event.
I know that Lisa does not participate in breakouts even in a small
OSonOS.

I'm curious on anyone's thoughts.

Another time, a local consultant (during an OS training I was
conducting) told us that he participates in breakouts all the time,
even as the OS facilitator for a client, including devoting breakouts
to coaching his client's leadership team and so on. We did not go into
depth about the experiences of his clients, but it was a shock to me.
He still seems to be in business, so maybe he knows something that I
don't know...

I think there is a sacrifice that we agree to make when we hold space
for a gathering where there are topics that are close to our heart.
Being the facilitator and holder of the space is the contribution that
we agree to make in that gathering, rather than participate in the
conversations. It's a fascinating practice of discipline to continue
learning from.

Jeff