[OSList] Opening space for desire and passion.

Kári Gunnarsson kari.gunnarsson at simnet.is
Wed Feb 20 01:41:27 PST 2013

I have been reviewing materials for my open space webpage. As my search
continue I am tempted to go to places for material that talk about the need
to open space. And one of this materials is the need to open space for
desire and passion to emerge.

I been looking at Esther Perel for my reading on desire. She first proposes
the duality of wanting and having. If desire is to want then love is to
have and it is difficult to want what you already have. Desire is fueled by
longing and needs space. We need to open some space in our life's so that
we can experience the emotion of longing.

Esther Perel found that there is an exception to only wanting what you
don't have. That is the novelty in the mystery of open space, and that self
sustaining radiance with confidence is desirable and sexy. Some partners
say that they are most drawn to there partner when he (or she) is doing
something that he is passionate about, when he is in his element.
A comfortable distance with mysterious and elusive movements, like on the
stage, brings mystery in the space that is the erotic. The passion rests in
the novelty.

In the mystical realm of eroticism there is a opposite, that is the trauma.
In a town of Belgium holocaust survivors, there where two distinctive
groups, those that did not die and those that came back to life. Those that
did not come back to life lived there life tilted to the ground could not
experience pleasure and could not trust. There lives where filled with
vigilance, worry, anxiousness, insecurities. But those that came back to
life where those that understood the erotic as the antidote to death. They
know how to keep themselves alive with curiosity, discovery and play.
Committed practice to open this space of play and the erotic is
premeditated, willful, intentional with focus and presence.

With best greetings from Iceland
Kári Gunnarsson
http://www.openspace.is/
email: kari at openspace.is