[OSList] needed changes to Banking

Charles Fuller chrlsful at aol.com
Sun Feb 10 13:36:36 PST 2013

Good Day!

Glad the conversation continues.  There certainly is need.

Here in Berkshire County (Western Massachusetts) we have developed
"berk-shares" a locally minted 'money'.  It creates local sustainable
community.  The imputes was generated from a fantastic resource - an
organization that is almost as old as the small is beautiful philosophy
& based on the theories of the author of that book.  I forget the name
of the organization which has recently changed.  (They are on Jug End
Rd... in Great Barrington, I believe).  What a resource! library,
lectures, grants, international scholar exchange, programatic outcomes
(like berkshares, land trusts, etc).

Not "banks" per se, alternatives:

Socially Conscious Investment firms
Coops
Employee owned companies
Time Bank (a 30 yr. old concept created by the attorney who started the
legal aid programs in USA)
Credit Unions (as above)
Fellowship for Intentional Community's revolving loan fund
Micro Loans
stuff like Kickstart
localized money (like berkshares)

Can U add any more?