[OSList] OST evaluation and medecine wheel

Diane Gibeault diane.gibeault at rogers.com
Mon Dec 16 14:49:04 PST 2013

Hello
Christine and every one,

Congratulations Christinen for holding your breath during the opening. You demonstrated what it means to hold space by trusting the group and the process and sure enough, participants did what they chose to create.

I also offer the medicine wheel for the learning
/debriefing stage of OS events but I am torn on the two approaches described in the
thread of this discussion.
I love the interesting reflection exercise (in pairs,
on the quadrant of their choice, with notes left in relevant quadrants in the
centre of the circle) that Thomas Herrmann described.
My instincts go more
often though in the direction Michael Pannwitz described: sticking to a closing circle
with a talking stick, no questions... “it seems that leaves
"remembering" (as in contrast to "learning" or
"teaching") to surface well”.

I generally prefer to stay in this intuitive,
remembering and feeling mode of the closing circle which allows for rich and
rare expression of deeper and touching thoughts that are so the glue that makes
relationships and ideas stick. This also allows more incubation and taking some
distance before going into an analytical mode where conclusions are structured
to bring a picture of where things have moved.

On the other hand, with the pair reflection on site, the
organization is benefitting from everyone throwing in their unique perspective about
what they see, instead of only getting that of the leadership team after the
event.

An alternative to get this feedback from the whole after
the event and to go even farther, is to invite every section of the organization to hold a (15 minute)
medicine wheel reflection, within each work team in the days that follow the OS.
They can keep the discussion going for as long as they wish to. It becomes another
opportunity for team building and for advancing a shared vision. The pooling of
the teams’ findings is another rich source of information for decision-makers
and those carrying follow-ups to the OS meeting.
This may not work as well in groups that are
not an intact organization, but there is nothing that a little imagination
can’t fix.

Diane