[OSList] OST evaluation and medecine wheel

christine koehler chris.alice.koehler at gmail.com
Fri Dec 6 04:57:44 PST 2013

Dear all

After reading several posts here discussing the medecine wheel, I decided
to use it as an evaluation tool for an open space I did recently with 100
managers. As it was really helpful and productive, I would like to thank
you and to tell you the story

The open space itself had not been so easy to do, as it followed the report
of a diagnosis that showed the many problems faced by the management in
this organization. And it was tough to hear, for all of them. So after
listening to the diagnosis,  the open space started with a loooong silence.
And inbetween each topic there was again a looong silence. I could see the
director and members of the planning commitee turning white or sweating.
Yet we ended up with 12 topics. 2 slots of discussions, very intense. They
discussed the real problems.
Then I opened space again for action planning. To tell the truth, I was
scared that they would not dare support actions. But they did : 10 topics,
for which, except one, several people jumped in, and that covered 90% of
the diagnosis. (probably the 10% left dealt with a category of people who
were not there for quite complicate and administrative reasons).

Yesterday, when I did the evaluation with the planning team, I explained
quicly the medecine wheel and have them reflect about what they learned for
each quadrant. What surprised me is that they did not answer about the
process they experienced the day of the event, but about the organization.
In a very short time they pictured a very clear, realistic yet optimistic
image of their organization. It was great.
The result is that they all commited to continue working together to
support the action plans for the coming months, although they had accepted
the "job" only because it was a one-time commitment.
And for the fun part, one of them told me "it looks like you guided us
through this like a shaman" ;)

Christine