[OSList] bridging two OS conferences

Lisa Heft lisaheft at openingspace.net
Thu Aug 15 07:47:58 PDT 2013

Hi, Thomas!

I've also done this for a worldwide organization meeting two separate
times in two different parts of the world so every employee could
attend.

We collected their documentation into a single Book of Proceedings and
gave them the Book a week or so after the event, so that the second
group would actually *not* see the first part. This client, very well
versed in Open Space, felt the second group would be much more free
and diverse in their thinking if they did not see what issues came up
in the first group. They would just do what they did, without (as some
people might have) thinking about *needing* to link it with anything
done prior. This company also did (and beautifully supported) the re-
opening space form of action planning. Then a combined Book, and time
for everyone to read it, integrate the information, before meeting in
their various groups to see patterns in what was articulated and
created across the two meetings. Which was very helpful.

Part of the lovely client's ability to actually invite the re-opening
of space action planning was that he (before the action plans groups
were announced / before they went into session) created infrastructure
to support any action that might be named, plus a top-level manager
whose job it was to champion the action plan initiators (what
resources do they need, how to help them continue working outside
their organizational role, what resources do they need, bringing them
in to report on ongoing progress to executive manager meetings and to
quarterly all-staff 'town hall' meetings, and so on. So the actions
did not disappear because of an employee's lack of support, lack of
freedom or mobility, need to identify resources and challenges... And
so the full system kept being stimulated by messaging about how the
ideas and relationships originated at the two events were coming along.

Of course any of the ways we each are sharing about it - all of those
ways could work.
For me it would come down to the context, culture, physical
environment and capacity of the organization...

I picture you on your motorbike - a lovely image in my mind indeed...

Lisa