[OSList] Fwd: Certification?

Chris Weaver chrisgweaver13 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 11 20:50:49 PDT 2013

Dear Harrison,

Howdy!  And thanks for your great question:
why did you postpone the initial Open Space? I heard what you said, but I
also heard (and saw in the press) that the pot is hot and boiling (a real
issue, lots of complexity, diversity, conflict, passion with a big dose of
urgency). Sounds to me like everything is in place all ready to go! Just
name the place, and invite the people. Those who care will come, and the
upgraded website will happen when it is ready.

What I find interesting in the question is an underlying idea that *perhaps
the best "pre-work" for Open Space is Open Space.  *I am open to this idea
and curious about it.  It reminds me of a tenet I hold about education in
general, which is that education is not preparation for life;
education *is*life.
*  *(I am also reminded, obliquely, of a quote I recall, I think by Jean
Paul Sartre:  *That which prevents you from doing your work has
*become*your work.
*)

There are several reasons why we postponed the event.  The overall reason
is that some logistical obstacles began to pop up, which left us feeling
that we were "pushing the river."  I think of ripeness and readiness for
things as being a natural process, and sometimes the fruit is just not yet
ripe for picking, and our event felt like that.

I also was paying attention to some advice I have received from my friend
Raffi Aftandelian, that it is very good to have a strong sponsoring team,
rather than just one or two sponsors.  In the case of our event, this felt
like particularly good advice.  One of the first thing folks wonder when
they see an invitation to something is, *Who is inviting me?  *Because the
idea for the *Local Education Support Collaborative* came together very
quickly, a number of potential sponsors simply felt that they did not
understand enough about what this was all about to join the sponsoring
team, yet.  So I wanted to take more time to educate and recruit more
partners.  In our culturally complex community I like the idea that our
event will have a sponsoring team that represents a wide variety of schools
and community connections.  It is also nice to have a committed group of
partners to share in the work (and as we know, as simple as it all is,
there is still a good deal of work, particularly if there is an ongoing
online component to the OST).

So...Start where you are, open space, and let it grow (or not)...or, wait
and build a stronger sponsoring team and develop the online platform, and
launch it bigger?  I don't know which would have been the better choice.
 We're on the latter course now, so we will see how it goes.

Warmly,
Chris