[OSList] 1,000 participants in 4 hours - The Report

Lisa Heft lisaheft at openingspace.net
Thu Aug 1 08:18:57 PDT 2013

Aaaahhh, Ms. Sharon Joy.

Thank you so much for sharing.

And the most important things I read from / into this...
...were the things you learned - and perhaps remembered - about
yourself.

Which will serve every next group and individual in those groups,
their objectives, and the world and people around you.

A deep bow to you,

Lisa

Lisa Heft
Consultant, Facilitator, Educator
President Emerita, Open Space Institute US
Fellow, Columbia University Center for International Conflict Resolution
Opening Space

On Aug 1, 2013, at 5:02 AM, Sharon Joy Chao wrote:

> Just two weeks ago I had this interesting experience of opening
> space for 1,100 (yes, the number swelled) under 4 hours. You
> probably remember the massive exchange in OSList on how to convene
> under these conditions as we burned the line talking about the merit
> of this assignment. The extent of our discussion was remarkable for
> it showed the depth of wisdom and passion attached to the practice
> with ideas flying from one side of the globe to the other.
>
> It started with an invitation to a two-day symposium on performance
> management system in government service. And because it’s a
> symposium there were 6 speakers lined up including a dozen others
> for concurrent sessions. Day 1 had a couple of plenary and
> concurrent sessions. Open Space was slated in the morning of Day 2
> followed by a formal symposium integration and closure in the
> afternoon. This was the first time HR people in government are
> called together, and there was a good mix of people from national
> agencies, government corporations, state universities and local
> government units in attendance.
> The open space session focused on making performance management
> system (PMS) in public service truly essential, responsive and life
> giving. Sitting through Day 1 presentations and forums made me
> realize that the audience have compelling stories to tell in
> addition to having contending views on how to move PMS in their
> agency. This prompted me to check my own motivation as I worked with
> government in the past and I know that PMS has always been a thorny
> issue in the service. I need to bring respect to everyone involved
> and there’s no sense adding my own ideas and arrogance to the
> issue....