[OSList] facilitator neutrality

doug ost at footprintsinthewind.com
Fri Apr 26 17:17:29 PDT 2013

Carms--

I think the way you describe the facilitator in each of those instances
makes that person a space invader, and the disgruntled comment was right
on. I could have said it!

It makes a difference how and when these things are done. The second
instance: the facilitator could hold open the space for posting topics a
little while longer, demonstrating waiting for those who are more
pensive and less forward. And if anyone asked, could say why in a mild
mannered, this is just how I see it sort of way.

And the comment about waiting people could more properly fit in a
breakout session, but again without being commanding.

The first instance, which sounds like it actually happened, strikes me
as the facilitator's own hang-ups showing. The chairs have to be in a
circle for me to feel like I am doing OST right. Bull puckey! We have
had OS in fixed bleachers, in semi-circles, in oblongs, with people
seated or standing or being their own bulletin boards. It works. Let it
work. Let go of your own stuff. And Carms, since you noticed, you
probably wanted to go up to the person and say something. Let go of that
too!

Tough to do? Tough to know what to do? Yes to both.

:- Doug.