[OSList] facilitator neutrality

Kerry Napuk knapuk at gmail.com
Fri Apr 26 16:17:58 PDT 2013

Hi Listers

Neutrality of the facilitator is tied to "holding the space."  You cannot
hold space if you participate in the event.  Simple as that.

If you want to participate, become a participant.  The facilitators holds
the space, IMHO, by sublimating his or her ego to the group's integrity.

Here is one example:  I did an event with an organiser who was so adept at
PR that he got four newspapers and a TV station to over the event which was
in a rural setting.  The TV crew wanted to come into the hall and film part
of the process.

As the theme involved suicide and self harm, I asked the group what they
wanted to do with the TV crew's request.  The did not want it and so,
probably for the first time in their life, they were banned from shooting
live footage. The organiser had to simulate a breakout group with his staff
in a side room.

Cheers

Kerry
Edinburgh