[OSList] living an open space life

James Sheldon queerpedagogue at gmail.com
Thu Apr 25 10:11:18 PDT 2013

i was talking to someone the other day about what I learned from my
experiences in open space, and I realized that it was really about living
an open space life.   I was sitting in the butterfly room in an online open
space and came up with this--

"Whoever comes are the right people" - I can seek out the people you want
to include in my life - but in the end people come or don't come and it's
something I can't control, but the people in my life are always the right
people.

"Whatever happens is the only thing that could have" - kind of
self-explanatory, no sense worrying about what happened - things happen in
the way they were meant to unfold, and I can learn from that and honor that.

"When it starts, it starts" - projects come together when people are ready.
 sometimes I have an amazing idea and nothing coalesces, and then suddenly
a massive number of people connect around another idea and that's where I
end up devoting my time and energy.

"when it's over, it's over" - realize when it's time to end a project and
move on to new adventures.

Law of two feet/mobility- when i'm not meaningfully contributing, I  excuse
myself and find a space where I can.

Butterfly- sometimes it's okay to listen, or even just wander when I'm
"supposed" to be somewhere.

Bumblebee- it's okay to jump in and out of groups and organizations and
social circles and cross-polinate - it's not disrespectful .. even when not
in OST.

anyone have any reflections on what an open space life would look like?

--
@ james sheldon
@ queerpedagogue at gmail.com