[OSList] Engineering, Justice and Open Space

Michael Wood michael.wood at uwa.edu.au
Thu Apr 4 22:04:48 PDT 2013

If anyone is interested in potential relationships between Engineering, Social Justice and Open Space, I am reading a juicy little book at the moment called "Heterotopia: Alternative pathways to social justice" by Caroline Baillie, Jens Kabo and John Reader (2012).

Caroline is an Engineering professor here at the University of Western Australia. Although they don't talk explicitly  about Open Space, have a listen to this..."we need to allow ourselves space and time to be. Defining a heterotopia does not mean defining the solution or the goal. This will be co-created by all concerned. Heterotopia is described by a liminal space of uncertainty, whereby concerns are raised, questions are asked and time stops, trusting that the answers will emerge"  (page 91).

Mmmm....sound familiar?

Michael
Perth, Western Australia