[OSList] OST Foundations again (Was:...)

Harrison Owen hhowen at verizon.net
Tue Sep 25 09:41:23 PDT 2012

Michael -- I did miss the "if" :-( And you have added much to the
conversation. Thank you. I like your "more" under the heading of invitation.

Some thoughts on "not caring" and "chaos." I think both are very much a part
of the spectrum, and probably necessary parts. First, the "not caring." It
is a simple fact of life -- not everybody cares about the same thing, or
stated the other way around, everybody doesn't care about something. And I
say, Thank God -- because this creates a very useful part of the essential
natural diversity. It also opens some more space. Plenty of room to care
about all sorts of things, and not get stepped on! And I suppose it is also
true that some things are just not worth caring about. Stated neutrally like
this, it sounds rather bland ... but if it is your party that nobody cares
about, that can definitely be painful, although it is probably some useful
information.

Ah chaos! -- What happens if it all goes out of control? I have to say that
I have never seen this to have occurred in any Open Space I have been a part
of. But if it did, I am not sure that is the end of the world. It might just
be the beginning of a new one (world). This is just another way of saying
what I believe to be true -- that we live in a seamless flow of self
organizing energy (or something like that.) And when we do an Open Space
that is simply one small moment in an ongoing stream. Seen from a broader
perspective the chaos experienced is only the natural state of the bigger
moment. So for example were we to "open space" around the "Future of the
American Economy" in the late summer of 2008 -- no matter what we did (or
didn't do) the next step was pure chaos, or about as close to that as I
would want to come. In a word, we live in a context...not of our making, and
definitely not under our control. But for the self organizing world, doing
it's dance it is just another day on the job. Or something.

Harrison

Harrison Owen
7808 River Falls Dr.
Potomac, MD 20854
USA

189 Beaucaire Ave. (summer)
Camden, Maine 20854

Phone 301-365-2093
(summer)  207-763-3261

www.openspaceworld.com
www.ho-image.com (Personal Website)
To subscribe, unsubscribe, change your options, view the archives of OSLIST
Go to:http://lists.openspacetech.org/listinfo.cgi/oslist-openspacetech.org