[OSList] Opening space in the classroom

Patrick Maxwell ptmpeace at gmail.com
Mon Sep 24 15:28:55 PDT 2012

Hey friends,

I have a situation, that I'd love some input on. I recently started working
in a school for at-risk youth, and so far, I've noticed that the single
largest obstacle that the students face is a lack of motivation -- most
students aren't any less intelligent than "normal" high schoolers, but for
whatever reason (and actually, I blame conventional education for this, at
least partially) most are pretty unenthusiastic about anything
classroom-related.

I've used OST in the past to facilitate adult gatherings, and I'm thinking
about using it with the students as well, as a way to allow them to study
something that they're passionate about. With that in mind, I have a couple
questions: does anyone here have experience using Open Space principles
with at-risk youth? Is there anything I should be aware of, or changes I
should make, based on the context?

Thanks in advance!

Peace,
Patrick Maxwell