[OSList] OSONOS Whenever, Wherever, with Whomsoever

Michael Herman michael at michaelherman.com
Wed Oct 24 11:16:57 PDT 2012

yes yes to all of the considerations you've outlined here, lisa.  in the
last few years, i've been suggesting to people that facilitating open space
is a practice in making choices... having so little pre-set structure means
we are resting in making choices about how to be all through the event...
and asking participants to do that too.

on the chairs bit, as an example of how obvious things can have unintended
effects, in my first open space, for about 120 people, i set out several
circles of 15 chairs.  some groups met with only three people, not
surprisingly.  but this was a group that didn't now each other very well.
 several of those big breakout circles ended up staying big, and people sat
far apart, keeping their distance.  maybe they chose that, maybe not.  but
every os since then, i mark breakout spaces with stacks of chairs near the
corners and just three chairs pushed completely together, front corners all
touching, so that anyone who meets there will definitely make the choice
for themselves.  it's a small thing, but i like to look out at the shape of
the circles and know that everybody chose that shape.

also, i often advise community groups (no or very small central budget)
like ours that food is not the necessity that it would seem.  food options
are critical, of course, if the event is any length at all... but that's
very different and much more work and guessing and expense than simply
choosing a location where any participant can pop out any time and pick
from a variety of food establishments.  the first four osonos gatherings,
the only no-driving option was the hotel dining room, but there were many
choices on the menu and the cost was completely determined by each
participant.  no money was collected as part of the registration, no menu
choices made, no food budget calculated, no food preferences/restrictions
tabulated, and so on.  sometimes there is some reason to bring food in and
stay deep in the work, but more often than not, and always at osonos i
think, there is real value in letting everyone keep their food allowance to
themselves and organize their own meal excursions, in whatever groups or
solos they might choose.

and to harold's earlier point about love and joy, even those can be a
two-edged sword... i might really want to cook you dinner, but if it's food
you'd rather not eat, or at a time or place you'd not choose for yourself,
the gift is not so great.  the greatest gift we can give, i think, is space
and choices.

Michael Herman
Michael Herman Associates
312-280-7838 (mobile)