[OSList] OSONOS Whenever, Wherever, with Whomsoever

Lisa Heft lisaheft at openingspace.net
Tue Oct 23 13:03:53 PDT 2012

Well this invites a very interesting conversation.
I get that, Harrison - and...
At the end of the OSonOS by the Sea and at some other OS events I have
participated in in Closing Circle someone usually says 'this was great
and gee I wonder where all the ___(for example, young people, or the
military)__ were?'
And I was guessing they were not there because we did not do extra to
help those not-usual-suspects get there - for the beauty of diversity.
So 'whoever comes' is in some cases whoever has email access, whoever
can afford travel, whoever is already part of the 'in group's
information stream, whoever knows how to navigate finding low-cost
housing in a community that is not their home region.

The wonderful Jorge Amigo (hola Jorge!) and I have had several
passionate conversations about this - and I am guessing that different
colleagues here on the list feel both ways or one way or are
experimenting with their feelings about...

If I (an individual or a host team) really loves the work of doing
'one more thing' to help people with visas, low-cost housing, and so
on - aren't we just individuals following what has heart and meaning?
If I (an individual or a host team) think it might bring in diversity
to arrange for home-stays and help people find room-mates in their
preparation for the event - are we doing that open-space-or-otherwise
pre-work to welcome diversity (beyond saying 'welcome everyone') - or
are we taking away individuals' ability to do for themselves?
And what are the results and affects of doing one or the other on our
living system of potential and actual participants?
Is doing these sorts of things respect for individuals - providing
them with an ally, information tailored to their abilities /
questions / capacities / requests - or is it disrespecting their
capacity for doing for themselves?

What is 'doing for' -- and what is doing acts of ongoing invitation
through action? (you can see my bias ;o)
What is taking responsibility for yourself to start - and what is my
role - my co-responsibility - in caring for community, including those
who are not the 'usual suspects'?

I totally believe in 'each one help one'. And yet I know that as a
majority culture person (take for example someone who knows how to
travel to new places or knows I want to bring a laptop if I want to
help emergent documentation in an Open Space event - or somebody who
knows other people who are coming to the event so I can ask questions
on the side about where they are staying) - being in majority culture
gives me an opportunity - no, actually, for me, a mandate - to help
make visible resources and relationships and information and access to
others who may not have my same capacities, abilities and culture.  To
me, 'whoever comes' invites a 'how are you as host making it possible
for more 'whoevers' not like the usual group to also say 'my place is
there too, I am coming too'?

I am not saying everyone has to do that - I am saying that is what I
love doing, cannot help but do, am interested in exploring, and invite
my clients to do.
As usual - we do what we have passion and capacity for - and as usual,
we wonderfully all see things in different ways, including what is
helping and what is 'overly help-y'. A very fine line indeed, and
differently experienced by all of us.

Fun stuff to explore...

Lisa