[OSList] OSONOS Whenever, Wherever, with Whomsoever (name change from "Peggy..."

Harrison Owen hhowen at verizon.net
Tue Oct 23 10:07:50 PDT 2012

I love it Michael! –

“All of which makes me wonder how many "OSonOS" events we've really had.
What if we did count them up and start numbering them as we go forward, as
ALL having been descended from the HHO-convened originals
  What if....? "
(Michael Herman)

I do have to confess a certain sense of déjà view all wrapped in a good
chuckle. The core question seems to be – who decides where the next
(w)OSonOS will be and by what authority do they do that? The simple answer
is (to me) everybody decides based on no authority, save their own. Actually
the question doesn’t even apply. Of course, if we were a formal organization
with a defined membership, Board, and set of procedures the question could
be relevant. But “we” are definitely a horse of a different color. The
Membership has never been officially determined, and nobody has any idea of
how many folks there might be. But it does seem likely that if everybody who
somehow felt a part of the community were to assemble, we would need at
least a major stadium! When it comes to a Board and set of procedures –
simply doesn’t exist. And I say Thank God!

In practice the whole process is simplicity itself. Somebody says, “Please
come
” and if there are two (or more) invitations there might be some
conversation about combining or sequencing the gatherings – not unlike what
we do in every Open Space with potentially duplicate sessions. People will
come or not depending on how their feet are moving and where their passions
may lie. No problem. And of course some decisions ARE made in advance –
after all the “inviter” does have to decide whether or not to throw a party.
But there is nothing secretive about it, and anybody can do it.

I guess that may be a sticking point – can anybody do it? The direct answer
is YES! It is also true that not everybody would want to. And the decision
to invite friends, colleagues and passers-by to come together becomes
massively daunting when the whole process is understood to be a complex,
draining undertaking. It certainly can be – but it doesn’t have to.

To make the point, being the old curmudgeon that I am, several years ago I
invited anybody who cared to come to join me for what I called
“OSONOS-by-the-Sea” in Camden Maine where I spend my summers. Total
organizing time might have been 3-4 hours. I simply called up some friends
at a local church (Space/Date), grabbed the URL from the Chamber of Commerce
(accommodations and food) – put it all together on a single webpage – and
posted a note on OSLIST. Conference fee was $25 (half of which I eventually
sent to Lisa/Access Queen) and I did say that space was limited to 50 (size
of the church). I did the same thing a year later, but raised the size limit
to 75, which the church could accommodate. In both cases we had a full
registration in a few weeks. As for onsite arrangements, I did nothing more
than to make sure that we had plenty of flip chart paper, magic markers,
masking tape and post-its – all of which were stacked in the center of the
room. Upon arrival, everybody pitched in (surprise!) and in short order we
had the essential signs, bees, bumble bees, etc. We even had a well
organized “Documentation Center.” From there on out it was business as
usual: Sit in a Circle, create a bulletin board, open and market place, and
go to work. We did, and it was a blast.

Of course you might be saying, Yes, but you are HARRISON OWEN. I can’t deny
it. It’s true, and that might have been a critical factor 5 years ago – but
no more as evidenced by the fine gatherings hosted by the likes of Lisa,
Michael Pannwitz, Sharon Chou, Brian Bainbridge, Gerardo de Luzenberger to
name just a few. Anybody can do it, but not everybody will want to. Of
course it always helps to remember that it isn’t the size of the event that
counts, but rather its depth and power. As always, Whoever comes will be the
right people.

And so my friends, we could easily turn all this into an intense, agonizing
discussion of process, rules, procedure and transparency. But in all honesty
that is a discussion I want no part of. Of course, inclusion is important,
but the answer to that is very simple: Just open more space(s) in your part
of the world and invite friends, colleagues, and especially strangers. To
borrow a phrase, and offer a bottom line – Just Do it! And have fun.

See you in Florida or wherever else space opens – as long as my feet are
able.

Harrison

Harrison Owen

7808 River Falls Dr.

Potomac, MD 20854

USA

189 Beaucaire Ave. (summer)

Camden, Maine 20854

Phone 301-365-2093

(summer)  207-763-3261

www.openspaceworld.com

www.ho-image.com (Personal Website)

To subscribe, unsubscribe, change your options, view the archives of OSLIST
Go to: