[OSList] Peggy plus OST Linkedin Comment

Phelim McDermott phelim at mac.com
Sun Oct 21 09:17:34 PDT 2012

Hi Raffi,

Nice to hear from you I missed you at WOSonOs.

Truth be told it is confusing. Paul's critique is one of the Wosonos event.. and the style.. but also of the collective community. Which he then generalises outward.. so some of the things he talks about could be my style or perhaps many other facilitators he knows about or has seen.

So as Chris says its not that helpful. It would be great to have a proper conversation with him but I dont know if he is on the LIST or not. I might contact him personally when I'm feeling a bit more robust. (He hasn't said a word I hadn't already heard from my own inner critics..)

But If i allow myself to conjecture I think his main criticsim would be that at WOSonOS that the facillitator talked too much and used a mike.  .. and perhaps that we added too much to what should be a simple form EG the sticky wall (which i've told him was a solution choice to not being able to use the walls). We added other social things. a welcoming event and some trips on buses and a presentation that Kerry gave to HArrison.. it could be argued these things inhibited emergent celebration and festivities.

Overall It's a plea for simplicity. All valid... But not what we chose to do. If our WOSonOS is seen as a series of breakout sessions across the world and time it had a particular flavour he didnt care for perhaps..

With regard to your "What prevents.. " question I would say nothing... except perhaps that for some people the exsting atmosphere of a community could be experienced as oppressive or inhibiting to those impulses in the same way that the expression of disgruntlement is easier to do via a blog afterwards than doing it in the moment during the event.

I would say that the difficult areas of WOSonOS are around taking care of the ongoing story with stuff that gets passed on. So I felt particularly the pressure of the responsibilities of the handover with looking after what was happening in the group.

Best regards,

Phelim McDermott
 I generally pick up emails only at the beginning and end of the working day. I am currently aiming to respond the following day. If it is urgent please call me on 07956 187298.

Sent from my iPhone