[OSList] Open Space in relation to triennial-biannual meetings

Kári Gunnarsson kari.gunnarsson at simnet.is
Wed Oct 3 15:57:25 PDT 2012

Hi

The case with the women's societies association's triennial meeting.
We opened with some presentations, then in the afternoon the president
of the association introduced me as facilitator and the topic (issues
and opportunities...) We sat in a circle I did a full introduction, we
created the billeting board, I opened the market and we had one
conversation round before braking up for dinner (The bishop of Iceland
was there receiving some honors). The following day before noon there
was some lectures and speeches then we broke for lunch. After lunch we
gathered in a standing circle where I did the full introduction again
as there were some new arrivals, We opened the marketplace, some new
discussion found there way and then we had two conversation rounds
before braking up for a dinner (The local mayor invited everyone to
drinks and a short show before dinner). On the morning of the 3rd day
we distributed 150 copies the full handwritten discussion notes to all
participants. I facilitated a round of next steps short closing circle
for the open space and then I left. The women then had discussion on
the timing of the next triennial meeting and broke for lunch. After
the lunch there were some more arrivals and then there was a selection
for new executive boards for the association and the boards of its sub
divisions, there were only 65 voters, but anyone present could be
elected. Then there were some speeches and thanks. My general feeling
is that it was a good success.

My second thought for this mix match was that there might have been
nicer to my schedule have all the open space in one day. But I do
think it has benefits to do the distribution of the discussion notes
to the participants and do a closing circle when that has sunk in.
What I m not as sure about is the opening on the first day. Is there
any benefit in adding the extra night for people to digest the issues
and opportunities and move forward with there personal process of
connecting with the emerging reality. I am now a little uncertain
about these thoughts of mine for giving extra time for the
participants to constructing personal stories to connect to the ever
emerging realities.I tried to do this by opening the day before the
main day. Is there any value in starching the process over 3 days
instead of having a compact one day Open Space.

Kári from Iceland